By Julie & Heidi from West Linn & Gillette, USA [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about money. Do I have enough money to grab lunch with a friend today? How much do I owe in daycare this week? Can I afford those shoes I really want? How much can I spend on that birthday present for my niece without having to eat Ramen this week?
I know I'm not alone. Between daycare costs, putting gas in the car and food on the table things can get pretty tight at times. Here are a few tips that will help you trim the fat so you can have that cash to get those incredible shoes once in a while or go out on a date night.
- Use coupons. Since our twins were born we've become coupon shoppers. You can use a combination of manufacturer coupons and store coupons. If your store offers double coupon days make that your day to shop. Always make a list of items that are on sale or that you have a coupon for and plan your meals around these deals. Shop at multiple stores if you can. Use those pump perks. You can save a lot of money on gas if you buy pump perk items and if you do it on Sunday at Trig's you get double!
- Cancel magazine subscriptions.
- Cut back on your TV service. Ditch those movie channels. If you're anything like me you don't watch movies on them anyway. We just bought a smart TV and we watch shows and movies on Netflix for $9/month. If you can live without traditional cable or satellite this might be a good move for you to save a lot of money. You can get regular broadcast TV for free.
- Watch ATM fees they can add up quick! If you're like me and don't carry cash around very often and scramble to the ATM every time you need a $20 bill make sure you use the ATM at your bank or credit union or at Kwik Trip. Those no-fee ATMs were the best marketing idea a convenience store ever had!
- Don't fall into the trap of buying stuff just because you have a coupon. So many people feel like they're throwing money away if they don't use a coupon. If you're going to use the coupon for something you really need then by all means use the coupon, but if you're buying something just because you have a coupon STOP!